All the latest news on aires in France
If you have any information on new aires or changes to existing aires send us an email or use the contact form
1) The aire in Luxeuil les Bains in Haute-Saone (70) has recently been taken over by the French company ‘CampingCarPark’. This former free, municipal aire has been increased in size to 45 spaces, all with ehu’s & wifi but parking is now 13-15€/ night. The aire is on the east side of this thermal spa town in a nice position; next to a large lake & a park area but also within 300m of the town centre & its shops / restaurants. Parking is in a large gravel area with plenty of room, little shade or greenery but the parking is illuminated at night. Euro-Relais borne with a drainage grid is easily accessible, 44 ehu’s & wifi, accessed by automatic barrier, CCP card required.
2) CampingCarPark have also opened an aire in Luche Pringe in Sarthe (72), Pays de la Loire. The aire is in a medium sized tarmac parking area, on the western side of the town, next to the football pitch/ campsite - it is bordered by grass areas& next to the river Loir to the south. The aire has a little shade, is lit by nearby street lights & is approx 400m to the town centre shops. There is an Euro-Relais borne with a large platform drain, ehu’s & wifi. Access by automatic barrier, CCP card required. 22 large spaces at 10-13€/ night, services included.
3) ….and again, a private aire run by the Camping Car Parks company has just opened this year in Charny sur Meuse in Meuse (55). Located close to the centre of Charny & next to the Meuse river, with parking on grass pitches with lighting & reasonable shade – in a semi-rural location bordered by farmland, a lake & the river. This former campsite has 50 spaces with wifi - 30 are on grass & 20 are hard standing pitches with 6A ehu’s, the aire is convenient for the village, being 200m from the centre with shops/ supermarket within 10 mins. The aire has a Euro-Relais service point with a drainage platform. Access is via an automatic barrier operated by the CampingCarPark membership card topped up by credit card . A pleasant, quiet riverside location with shade in places & close to a cycle track along the Meuse to Verdun. Close to the Douaumont Fort & 8 kms from the Verdun memorial/ WWI battle sites. 12€/ night with services included.
4) A new aire opened last year in the village of La Contentin, Cotes d’Armor (22) in Brittany. This private aire managed by AireParkReservation is located in the former Municipal campsite .......... see 'Aire of the Month for April' for more details & images.
1) A new aire has been opened by CampingCarPark in Sedan, in Ardennes (08), Champagne-Ardenne. The private aire is in a former campsite, located close to the centre of Sedan on an island in the Meuse river, with parking on grass/ gravel pitches with lighting & reasonable shade – in a semi-rural location bordered by the river....... See "Aire of the Month", March for further details.
2) The aire in Blois, Loir-et-Cher (41) was moved late last year to a new purpose-built aire in Ave President Wilson. This aire is located in a large tarmac parking area reserved for motorhomes, accessed by an automatic barrier. The aire, located about 700m from the town centre, has 20 marked level spaces with little shade but is lit at night. The artisanal borne (with drainage platform) is easy to access, wifi provided. Not very close to the town centre, but a quiet spot & served by free shuttle buses that run every 13 mins. Some shops are nearby (superette, boulangerie, butcher, Poste) & the aire has internet access included in the price with CCTV surveillance. Interesting town to visit with wide range of shops, restaurants, museums, chateau, etc. 8€/ 24 Hrs, 2€ water.
3) The village of Briosne les Sables in Sarthe (72) has recently opened an aire. This small municipal aire is located on the western edge of the village, 300m from the centre, just off the main D83 road thru the village. The aire is next to the leisure area in a grass/ park area where a dozen spaces are available on gravel, shaded by trees in places, bordered by grass areas but little lighting. Euro-Relais service point with drainage platform. There is an adjacent large leisure/ fishing lake, play area & boules pitches all surrounded by farmland. No shops in village apart from a restaurant that also sells bread & jetons. Parking is free, services 2€ for water or electricity.
4) The small town of Nouans les Fontaines in Indre-et-Loire (37) has also opend an aire. The aire is in a medium sized gravel parking area with 6 divided spaces separated by grass verges. A nice location next to the swimming pool with an adjacent lake, grass areas, picnic & play area, 300m north of the town centre. Raclet service point with drainage platform & 2 electric hook up sockets. Short walk into town where there is a small selection of shops, jetons available from swimming pool, Mairie or shops. Handy stopover for visiting the nearby “Plus Beaux Village” of Montresor. Free parking with services at 1€ for water or electricity.
5) The city of Caen in Normandy is to finally have an aire. The suburb of Bretteville-sur-Odon, on the western side of Caen, has been chosen as a suitable location for a 20 pitch aire with water, drainage & electric. The aire should be ready by this summer.
TOP 5 AIRES IN FRANCE 2019
The readers of the French motorhome magazine "CampingCar" hold a poll every year to select what they consider to be the best aires of the year. Last year the top 5 aires were as follows:
1) Surzur in Morbihan (56)
Voted Aire of the Year, 2019 & close to the Gulf of Morbihan, at the entrance to the Rhuys peninsula, this modern aire soon became popular amongst French motorhomers. Services include free use of washing machine and dryer, 43 large pitches delimited by hedges, 17 of which are hard standing. A well maintained aire where everything is done to ensure users the best possible stay.
2) St Medard de Presque in the Lot (46)
Located near to one of the Most Beautiful Villages of France, this private aire is recognized for the friendliness of its owner. Open all year round, it provides 6 spaces next to an orchard where it is possible to pick your own fruit and vegetables. For €10/ night, motorhomes have access to electricity, water, wifi and washing machine. The aire is accessed by a barrier and secured with CCTV.
3) Pradelles in Haute Loire(43)
This private aire is in a small tarmac parking area behind a butchery business premises, the parking is surrounded by a grassy area with picnic tables but little shade. The aire is about 1km north of the small village, surrounded by open farmland but is also next to the main Route Nationale. Artisanal service point with drainage platform. Produce available for sale. Pradelles is one of the “Plus Beaux Villages de France” with many old buildings & a Velo-Rail that runs for 18kms.
4) Pontorson in Manche (50)
This purpose-built private 50 space aire is located about 5km south of Mont St Michel in the small village of Ardevon where there is a large level tarmac parking area bordered by farmland. The parking is on the northern edge of the village & has little shade but there are good facilities including ehu’s, wifi, toilets & showers as well as bike hire.
5) Salles Curan in Aveyron (12)
Voted “Aire of the Year” in 2017, the aire here is located in the former municipal campsite in a pleasant situation overlooking the Lac de Paraloup. There are 60 level spaces on grass each with ehu & water, accessed by a gravel track. An artisanal service point with platform drain & toilets.
1) A new aire has just opened in the small village of Francheville in Eure (27), Normandy 40kms to the west of Evreux. There are 7 spaces on gravel accessed by a tarmac track close to the village centre where there is a small range of shops as well as an Ironworks museum. The aire is in Rue des Trois Points, GPS: N48.79317 E 0.84547
2) A new private aire run by AirePark Reservation opened last month - located at an altitude of 1800m in the ski station of Font-Romeu-Odeillo-Via in the Pyrénées-Orientales (66) near the Spanish border. The aire is on the south side of the town & has 28 pitches on tarmac, each with ehu & wifi in a fenced parking area with CCTV surveillance, accessed via automatic barrier. AireServices service point with drainage platform. A modern aire in a quiet location with good views of the mountains & short drive from the ski slopes (45 runs with a total length of 43kms). Little shade but lit at night, short walk to shops/ eating places. Font Romeu is located in a National Park.
3) St Bonnet en Champsaur in Hautes-Alpes (05) has opened a new aire in a large tarmac car park on the south west side of this small village (alt.1,025m), 10 marked spaces in a reserved motorhome area next to the swimming pool car park, lit at night with a little shade, 300m from village centre. Artisanal service point with drainage platform, all free. The aire is in a mountain village on the famous Route Napoleon (RN85), with fine views of the mountains. Very quiet, slight slope, short walk into quaint medieval village where there is a small range of shops, bank, Poste & eating places. Nice old village with covered market, narrow streets & old houses. Good area for walking, skiing & mountain biking.
The village of Cortonne la Meurdrac in Calvados (14), Normandy,just east of Lisieux, has opened an aire (pictured above). It is located on the south side of the village of Cortonne, near to the football pitch in a tarmac/ gravel parking area next to a park with a lake. There is little shade or lighting at night but it is close the village centre – about 100m away. Artisanal service point with, ehu, drainage channel, information board & rubbish bin. Parking is free.
The small town of Pleine-Fougeres in Ille et Vilaine (35), Brittany has opened a new aire. Parking is in a small area with 8 large pitches in a fenced location. There is an AireServices service point with drainage platform & 8 ehu’s arranged in 2 points with 4 sockets. The parking is only 400m from the town centre where there is a small selection of shops covering basic requirements. Parking is 10€ with electric/ water included.
CampingCarPark has opened a new aire in St Sauvant in Vienne (86), Poitou-Charente. The aire is located in the former municipal campsite, within 500m of the little town centre where a small selection of shops can be found. The 16 individual pitches are on grass, bordered by hedges, accessed by a gravel track, with a little shade & lighting at night. Artisanal service point with drainage platform & wifi/ ehu’s on each pitch. Parking is 10€ with services included.
In Gironde (33), Aquitaine, the village of Le Verdon sur Mer has also opened an aire. The aire is in a large tarmac/ gravel parking area about 100m from the sandy beach & next to the railway line (but no trains at night), little shade here but lighting at night. The aire is 200m from the village centre where there are a few shops & a couple of cafes. Artisanal service point with drainage platform, ehu’s & wifi, access via automatic barrier paid by credit card. Parking is 11€ with services included.
A champagne producer in Treslon, Marne (51) in Champagnes-Ardennes has opened an aire. This private aire is located in a semi rural location in the grounds of Clos de la Bergeronette, where there are four level spaces on hard standing. The parking is securely gated & fenced, next to the house in a residential area There is some shade here & nearby street lighting. Modern artisanal service point with drainage platform & ehu’s. Parking is 18€ with services included.
In Calvados, a new aire has opened in St Julien le Faucon. This modern aire is located in a small gravel/ tarmac parking area, next to the former railway station, a convenient spot offering a little shade & lighting. The aire is 300m west of the village centre, off the D511 road & the village has a few facilities. The level spaces have access to an UrbaFlux service point with drainage platform.
The aire at St Michel l’Obervatoire in Alpes de Haute Provence (04) in PACA has closed in 2019 but the municipal campsite is now open from 15/01 till 15/12 & offers a reasonable rate for motorhomes as well as an artisanal service point which is easy to use. The campsite is 800m from the village, has 20 pitches for motorhomes (10 with ehu’s), a restaurant open 7 days/ week & a children's play area.
A new aire has opened near Sevremont in the Vendee (85), Pays de la Loire. The aire is in a small gravel/ grass parking area, a former campsite, with 12 spaces, bordered by grass areas with good shade, lit at night & near to the river, about 150 m north of the large village centre of La Pommeraie. The village has a few shops & a restaurant. There is an artisanal borne with a platform drain, water & toilets.
Another new aire has opened in Berrien in Finistere (29) in Brittany. This municipal aire is located on the eastern outskirts of this small village in a medium sized tarmac parking area, next to open farmland. The aire has 15 spaces, grass areas & mature trees although these provide little shade & the aire is about 500m from the village centre. AireServices service point with drainage platform.