All the latest news on aires in France
TOP 5 AIRES IN FRANCE 2019
The readers of the French motorhome magazine "CampingCar" hold a poll every year to select what they consider to be the best aires of the year. Last year the top 5 aires were as follows:
1) Surzur in Morbihan (56)
Voted Aire of the Year, 2019 & close to the Gulf of Morbihan, at the entrance to the Rhuys peninsula, this modern aire soon became popular amongst French motorhomers. Services include free use of washing machine and dryer, 43 large pitches delimited by hedges, 17 of which are hard standing. A well maintained aire where everything is done to ensure users the best possible stay.
2) St Medard de Presque in the Lot (46)
Located near to one of the Most Beautiful Villages of France, this private aire is recognized for the friendliness of its owner. Open all year round, it provides 6 spaces next to an orchard where it is possible to pick your own fruit and vegetables. For €10/ night, motorhomes have access to electricity, water, wifi and washing machine. The aire is accessed by a barrier and secured with CCTV.
3) Pradelles in Haute Loire(43)
This private aire is in a small tarmac parking area behind a butchery business premises, the parking is surrounded by a grassy area with picnic tables but little shade. The aire is about 1km north of the small village, surrounded by open farmland but is also next to the main Route Nationale. Artisanal service point with drainage platform. Produce available for sale. Pradelles is one of the “Plus Beaux Villages de France” with many old buildings & a Velo-Rail that runs for 18kms.
4) Pontorson in Manche (50)
This purpose-built private 50 space aire is located about 5km south of Mont St Michel in the small village of Ardevon where there is a large level tarmac parking area bordered by farmland. The parking is on the northern edge of the village & has little shade but there are good facilities including ehu’s, wifi, toilets & showers as well as bike hire.
5) Salles Curan in Aveyron (12)
Voted “Aire of the Year” in 2017, the aire here is located in the former municipal campsite in a pleasant situation overlooking the Lac de Paraloup. There are 60 level spaces on grass each with ehu & water, accessed by a gravel track. An artisanal service point with platform drain & toilets.
1) A new aire has just opened in the small village of Francheville in Eure (27), Normandy 40kms to the west of Evreux. There are 7 spaces on gravel accessed by a tarmac track close to the village centre where there is a small range of shops as well as an Ironworks museum. The aire is in Rue des Trois Points, GPS: N48.79317 E 0.84547
2) A new private aire run by AirePark Reservation opened last month - located at an altitude of 1800m in the ski station of Font-Romeu-Odeillo-Via in the Pyrénées-Orientales (66) near the Spanish border. The aire is on the south side of the town & has 28 pitches on tarmac, each with ehu & wifi in a fenced parking area with CCTV surveillance, accessed via automatic barrier. AireServices service point with drainage platform. A modern aire in a quiet location with good views of the mountains & short drive from the ski slopes (45 runs with a total length of 43kms). Little shade but lit at night, short walk to shops/ eating places. Font Romeu is located in a National Park.
3) St Bonnet en Champsaur in Hautes-Alpes (05) has opened a new aire in a large tarmac car park on the south west side of this small village (alt.1,025m), 10 marked spaces in a reserved motorhome area next to the swimming pool car park, lit at night with a little shade, 300m from village centre. Artisanal service point with drainage platform, all free. The aire is in a mountain village on the famous Route Napoleon (RN85), with fine views of the mountains. Very quiet, slight slope, short walk into quaint medieval village where there is a small range of shops, bank, Poste & eating places. Nice old village with covered market, narrow streets & old houses. Good area for walking, skiing & mountain biking.
The village of Cortonne la Meurdrac in Calvados (14), Normandy,just east of Lisieux, has opened an aire (pictured above). It is located on the south side of the village of Cortonne, near to the football pitch in a tarmac/ gravel parking area next to a park with a lake. There is little shade or lighting at night but it is close the village centre – about 100m away. Artisanal service point with, ehu, drainage channel, information board & rubbish bin. Parking is free.
The small town of Pleine-Fougeres in Ille et Vilaine (35), Brittany has opened a new aire. Parking is in a small area with 8 large pitches in a fenced location. There is an AireServices service point with drainage platform & 8 ehu’s arranged in 2 points with 4 sockets. The parking is only 400m from the town centre where there is a small selection of shops covering basic requirements. Parking is 10€ with electric/ water included.
CampingCarPark has opened a new aire in St Sauvant in Vienne (86), Poitou-Charente. The aire is located in the former municipal campsite, within 500m of the little town centre where a small selection of shops can be found. The 16 individual pitches are on grass, bordered by hedges, accessed by a gravel track, with a little shade & lighting at night. Artisanal service point with drainage platform & wifi/ ehu’s on each pitch. Parking is 10€ with services included.
In Gironde (33), Aquitaine, the village of Le Verdon sur Mer has also opened an aire. The aire is in a large tarmac/ gravel parking area about 100m from the sandy beach & next to the railway line (but no trains at night), little shade here but lighting at night. The aire is 200m from the village centre where there are a few shops & a couple of cafes. Artisanal service point with drainage platform, ehu’s & wifi, access via automatic barrier paid by credit card. Parking is 11€ with services included.
A champagne producer in Treslon, Marne (51) in Champagnes-Ardennes has opened an aire. This private aire is located in a semi rural location in the grounds of Clos de la Bergeronette, where there are four level spaces on hard standing. The parking is securely gated & fenced, next to the house in a residential area There is some shade here & nearby street lighting. Modern artisanal service point with drainage platform & ehu’s. Parking is 18€ with services included.
In Calvados, a new aire has opened in St Julien le Faucon. This modern aire is located in a small gravel/ tarmac parking area, next to the former railway station, a convenient spot offering a little shade & lighting. The aire is 300m west of the village centre, off the D511 road & the village has a few facilities. The level spaces have access to an UrbaFlux service point with drainage platform.
The aire at St Michel l’Obervatoire in Alpes de Haute Provence (04) in PACA has closed in 2019 but the municipal campsite is now open from 15/01 till 15/12 & offers a reasonable rate for motorhomes as well as an artisanal service point which is easy to use. The campsite is 800m from the village, has 20 pitches for motorhomes (10 with ehu’s), a restaurant open 7 days/ week & a children's play area.
A new aire has opened near Sevremont in the Vendee (85), Pays de la Loire. The aire is in a small gravel/ grass parking area, a former campsite, with 12 spaces, bordered by grass areas with good shade, lit at night & near to the river, about 150 m north of the large village centre of La Pommeraie. The village has a few shops & a restaurant. There is an artisanal borne with a platform drain, water & toilets.
Another new aire has opened in Berrien in Finistere (29) in Brittany. This municipal aire is located on the eastern outskirts of this small village in a medium sized tarmac parking area, next to open farmland. The aire has 15 spaces, grass areas & mature trees although these provide little shade & the aire is about 500m from the village centre. AireServices service point with drainage platform.